[Discussion] Centralization in Index Coop Governance

This is (unsurprisingly) another superb analysis out of the Analytics WG. Great job. The conclusions match what many in the community have suspected regarding participation and the sensitivity of single whale voters to the ultimate outcome.

With respect to the two proposed recommendations, though, there are live initiatives in both cases, so I was personally left wondering what actual actionable next steps there would be after reading this.

As you’ve said, this is already happening. Index Council and the Metagovernance Council are each a response to the governance issues you’ve observed in your analysis.

This is also happening. There has been an active investor relations effort run by @bax86 where he coordinates calls with these entities: 1kx, Sequoia, Galaxy, etc. Community members have had an open invitation to join these public calls since late summer. Typically, only 2-5 community members end up attending from what I’ve observed. A takeaway here could simply be to remind the community that these calls have been happening regularly, are open to community members, and to connect with Luke if you’re interested to learn more.

Joe and I presented the evolving proposal on those recurring investor calls over the last two months and made reference to gathering that investor feedback in the recent compensation post and on weekly Leadership Forum calls. This was part of a broad effort to gather feedback on the proposal from across the entire Index Coop community - not just from the participants from the Treasury diversification - but the VCs were a key consideration in part because they are such active voters.

A bit of a strawman here. “Should we pay contributors more?” wasn’t the question we posed. Rather, we asked:

• How do we attract and retain top talent? and
  • How do we put more ownership in the hands of the community, particularly those that are the highest value contributors?

The latest Community Ownership & Compensation post lays out an aim to distribute a total of 22.5% of the overall Index token supply over a multi-year period, using the combined airdrop and dynamic staking model as the tools to do so. The dynamic staking model is purposefully structured to reward continued ownership to disincentivize selling. The proposed construct will admittedly (but also purposefully, for sustainability reasons) take years to achieve its 22.5% target. While it may still not singularly solve the governance problems you’ve laid out, community ownership is a primary motivation, and (I’d argue) it moves us meaningfully in the right direction.

8 Likes