Framework for Meta-Governance

Thanks, all - been great to read these responses and suggestions and speak to a number of people about these topics on the weekly calls and one on one. Some responses below:

@Tim_Malibu and @0x_Dev - you both asked about action steps. It will be critical to have ongoing discussions about what is practical from a technical perspective and build further community buy-in, but I think the below is probably what makes most sense for carrying things forward:

1. Creating a more formal organizational structure to discuss and work on meta-governance issues. As discussed on today’s org call, there are a number of small groups working on various meta-gov-related issues, and it would be helpful to have more structure and transparency linking these efforts. I’m working to connect everyone interested in the topic now and get a sense of what is already underway.

2. Formalizing principles for meta-governance.

3. Implementing simple things like push notifications for votes (via EPNS when out of beta) or potentially via opt-in email, which are low-effort but hopefully easy-wins.

4. Governance mining and creating a proxy system are the next two big picture potential objectives, likely in that order for practical reasons. There is some experimentation in the works on the mining front but a meta-gov working group will need to fully outline and propose solutions.

@DarkForestCapital, completely agree. I think having an elected group of dedicated individuals focused on this topic makes a lot of sense, especially as we continue to scale.

3 Likes