IIP-55: Data Economy Index (DATA)

Welcome to the Index Coop community, @scaleweb3 - thank you for your detailed and thoughtful comment on mine and @Kiba’s proposal!

This is definitely mine and @Kiba’s viewpoint that DATA is the single largest simple index opportunity in crypto other than Open Finance / DeFi. We are glad to hear that you share our thesis :smiley:

To address your, @MrMadila , and @trx314 concerns in regards to Filecoin tokenomics, using an economic weighting would be a return to our original proposal as opposed to the simple market cap based weighting we are proposing in this IIP. While I would personally to invest in a DATA index product using an economic weighting, the Index Coop community strongly preferred a simple market cap based weighting.

@scaleweb3 Would you prefer to invest in a DATA index using an economic weight as opposed to a solely market cap based weight?

It is worth noting that the TTI was similar to DPI (both are DeFi sector indices), but was weighted using price-to-sales (P/S) instead of a market cap weighting currently employed by DPI. TTI failed to reach quorum during the DG2 vote.

My weakly-held view is that the market for crypto sector indices is currently too small to support multiple weighting methodologies (i.e. market cap, smart beta, etc.) for the same investment theme and we need to pick the theme that will capture the most AUM in the near to medium term. Based on the success of current Index Coop products in the market (i.e. DPI and MVI), I believe a market-cap based DATA index will capture the most AUM in the near term., but could definitely be persuaded to the contrary based on user/investor feedback.

1 Like