IIP-55: Data Economy Index (DATA)

Signaling my support for this proposal as I believe the decentralized data economy has significant room to expand into the future given data itself is the world’s most valuable and versatile commodity. Unfortunately to date, monetization of data has been largely captured by centralized intermediaries, and people will only become more aware of this and prefer decentralized solutions, leading to opportunities for investors/speculation. I think the DATA index would make a perfect addition to the DeFi index (DPI) and Metaverse index (MVI) as they are very different domains.

One aspect that stood out from this proposal is the selection of industry leaders within each industry vertical as data has many applications: oracles (LINK), data storage (FILE), indexing (GRT), advertising (BAT), livestreaming (LPT), tokenization (OCEAN), machine learning (NMR), VPN (OXT), prediction (REP). I think this is the right approach to take as holders of such industry leading projects who want exposure to the broader decentralized data economy (initial targeted users of this product) would be unlikely to want exposure to less adopted competitors within their vertical. I can state for at least the Chainlink community, I know that this would be the case. A broad data application index is best approach and glad to see that here, excited to see this launch in the future.

11 Likes

I would love to see this initiative come to fruition. I won’t repeat everything mentioned by previous replies, but it’s definitely a solid proposal with great potential.

1 Like

welcome to the community @ChainLinkGod :partying_face: only right for this topic to be the one in which u make ur index coop debut post :slight_smile:

that said, it’s great to see ur words of encouragement on the DATA index and that u too see how much potential it has within the space! very high co-sign for this product that @Thomas_Hepner & @Kiba have been working hard in order launch

4 Likes

:triangular_flag_on_post: FYI – The full forum post surpasses Snapshot’s character limit.

I will be removing removing sections and adding to the top of the proposal

The full text DATA proposal exceeds Snapshot’s character count limit. Below is an abbreviated proposal. Check out this forum post to read the full proposal.

[EDIT] for example: DG2: SMI

1 Like

The-below was removed for the DG1 Snapshot vote. These removals represent what is necessary to get under the character limit.

[note on this ^ removing because acknowledges, “As already mentioned in the sections above…”]

4 Likes

DG1 is now queued** on snapshot to start Tuesday 7/13/21

https://snapshot.org/#/index-coop.eth/proposal/QmSFp29qpcEnzvjr1UhciyVL7No1gMLDwnGLRjiX8448TQ

5 Likes

The Community Call for the DATA index proposal takes place on Tuesday, August 3rd (8/3) at 2:00 PM PST (9:00 PM UTC) time!

Details here:

We hope to see you there!

Hey @Thomas_Hepner @Kiba

Very interesting proposal and I applaud your vision for creating a serious crypto data index and look forward to investing!

I know I’m biased but I would like to see more exposure to the transportation protocols of data in your index/thesis. IMO data monetisation doesn’t make sense unless it’s supported by a foundation of decentralised data infrastructure. I.e. a new fair data economy can’t be built on top of AWS/Google, etc. New Web3 protocols are needed to properly unshackle the world from the tech giants and the strategic choke points they occupy in Web2.

I recommend considering the Streamr Network as a candidate for inclusion in your index. It’s a decentralised, streaming multicast data delivery network with built in tools for data monetisation (via what we call Data Unions).

We also meet the criteria of your fund, high liquidity (some days >$1B trading volume). And currently standing at about $106M market cap. Awkwardly we also use the $DATA ticker so if there’s a different ticker you are considering, that would help keep things simple, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world either, just something to keep in mind. Unfortunately, after 4 years we are married to the ticker symbol.

I’m head of ecosystem at Streamr, if you’d like to jump onto a call with me, or with some of the founders, let me know. matthew.fontana@streamr.network. I joined your community call, but I am a total newb when it comes to the Index Coop so I didn’t understand the fee structure discussions!

1 Like

Hello @matthew.fontana - thank you for reaching out! We would would love to learn from team at STREAMR and collaborate!

I am OOO for a wedding (about to board a plane) until next Wednesday so apologies for my curt response. I’ve followed you on Twitter and will DM you there to connect.

1 Like