IIP-71-Final : Launching the Robot Index (iRobot)

Hey @JosephKnecht, thanks a lot for the stimulating conversation over the WE :wink:

I agree the immunity to mean reversion (winner-loser effect) is an important point that needs to be clarified based on empirical, out-of-sample data which I have endeavoured to do since Sunday.

Unfortunately, while I was extracting the ā€œaverageā€ and ā€œlosersā€ portfolio performance from the backtest covering May to July '21, I discovered an issue with my price feed API whereby random bits of price history would be missing across the 800-ish tokens currently monitored.

The methodology behind iRobot relies on characterizing historical returns against downside volatility to capture early upside potential or exit of accumulation phases : complete datasets are required to be relevant / unbiased.

My priority before going into DG2 is therefore to understand the effect that this issue has got on iRobotā€™s composition as well as on backtesting performance.

Concretely, this means comparing my actual datasets with the results coming from another API, which is a fair bit of work : I will continue updating you and the community on my findings.

As shared in our chat, progressing iRobot without ensuring 100% transparency and integrity is the last thing I want to do.

On the bright side, testing another API is something I intended to do before launch anyway since my current one is also starting to be a limiting factor in terms of available price feeds.

Iā€™m happy to have caught this issue now, and Iā€™m sure we will look at this step back positively once the 1st decentralized Robo-Advisor is finally out on the market :mechanical_arm:

2 Likes