**Poll Added** Proposal: Analytics Working Group (AWG) [Q4 2021]

Situation

What are you proposing?

I am proposing the funding of the Analytics Working Group (AWG) for 3 months ending on Dec 31, 2021. This is the third iteration of the AWG. The first two proposals:

AWG Proposal #1

AWG Proposal #2

What is the core problem(s) you want to solve?

The Coop relies on data to make decisions on product methodology and prioritization, engineering decisions, KPIs, treasury management, growth opportunities, liquidity management, and more. As the Coop grows (both community and products), we need consistent analytics contribution to allow the DAO to operate from a place of objectivity.

Why is this worth addressing today?

The Coop is now supporting 6 products (DPI, MVI, ETH2x-FLI, BTC2x-FLI, BED, DATA) with multiple more in the DG process (iROBOT, iETH, PAY, YHI, LDI) We are on pace to support 10+ products by the end of 2021. The Coop’s near-term priorities are transforming into a product and engineering powerhouse. We are recognizing the importance and urgency of developing a sustainable, long-term liquidity strategy. Active liquidity monitoring and management may be a significant part of that equation. Layer 2’s are also upon us - strategic decisions will need to be made to drive the Coop to prosperity as we layer up. Our Treasury continues to lead the way in active diversification and management. Our Growth engine is constantly dialing in on crypto personas, markets, and opportunities to level up the Coop’s products. Our new leverage index and simple index pods, cross-functional in nature, are becoming vital contributors in the pre-launch pipeline and post-launch maintenance and growth. BD is driving incredible extrinsic opportunities for our products - and is evaluating multiple partnerships and opportunities at any point in time. Analytics can, and should, be key function within each of these initiatives.

The analytics capabilities within the Coop must scale in order to support the Coop through this rapid growth. The Coop prides itself on being data-driven. Data is one of the life-bloods of efficient collaboration and decision making within a DAO. The Coop must operate from a foundation of facts and truth, and the AWG will work to make sure that is always the case.

How will you address it?

Since inception, AWG has been working towards a vision of a central analytics team that is plugged in across all major working groups, pods, and initiatives. Each iteration gets us a bit closer to that vision. This iteration is particularly important due to the 3 “core” contributors being recognized as part of the proposal. Between those core contributors and myself, we plan to work with existing working group and pod leaders to develop a quarterly analytics roadmap - a prioritization of the key initiatives that analytics will support and drive across the whole Coop. This is a critical step for the AWG as we seek to be more pro-active in driving value to the Coop, instead of just being re-active to needs across the Coop. All contributors will work against this roadmap on behalf of working groups, pods, and the Coop as a whole.

It must be noted, that we are a bit late (in terms of this proposal) on our quarterly roadmap. In the future, this will be completed in the final 2-3 weeks of the quarter so that we can present a clear quarterly analytics roadmap every quarter. We are committed to working on the highest leverage projects and strategic decisions.

What impact will this project have?

The AWG is here to support all other working groups and functions in pursuit of impact towards top-level KPIs. Specifically, the AWG will help keep all projects/efforts focused on the North Stars & Core KPIs.

One of the challenging parts of analytics using on-chain data is the shift from user-centered data (in traditional environments) to address-centered data (in crypto environments). By devoting resources to support time and effort to analytics, we can maintain focus on users, our North Star, even when it is not the most natural given the nature of the data. This is critical for the Coop whose mission is to build index products that resonate strongly with specific user segments.

The long-term vision for the AWG, and this iteration is a big step towards that, is for each working group and pod to have a dedicated analytics contributor at their disposal. So all those questions that come up that no one has an answer to right off the bat - there will be analytics support right there ready to dig in - this will impact every group’s decisiveness and confidence, as well as their ability to measure their progress. I believe that this quarter, working groups and pods will feel more supported than ever from an analytics perspective. This cross-functional collaboration is going to unlock synergy.

Working Group Leader(s)

JD Cook (@jdcook)

Core Contributors

@jackiepoo

@sidhemraj

@anthonyb.eth (@anthonybowman on discord)

Request for Funding

Proposed Budget

$38,135 + 1,462.5 INDEX

Use of Funds

• Contributor Rewards - $33,000 + 1,462.5 INDEX
  • Dune Licenses - $5,135
    • $1580 in October (4 licenses)
    • $1580 in November (4 licences)
    • $1975 in December (5 licences)

The Contributor Rewards for the last three months were:

July: $9,200

August: $14,550

Sept: $16,250

In the middle of Q3 it became clear that the AWG needed to provide opportunities for Core Contributors to take a larger role in the AWG. The AWG has seen 3 core contributors get hired by other DAOs/projects in the past 4-5 months. This budget allows for core contributors to invest more time in the Coop - and the AWG needs that from core contributors. We are currently unable to keep up with the requests and demand for analytics across the Coop. This budget also provides room for the AWG to grow by adding another core contributor and/or multiple part-time contributors. This will enable the AWG to deliver on an aggressive vision for Q4.

Organization - How will it work?

What will you be doing?

As mentioned above, over the next 1-2 weeks, we plan to work with existing working group and pod leaders to develop a quarterly analytics roadmap - a prioritization of the key initiatives that analytics will support and drive across the whole Coop. While the key projects/tasks will eventually will be determined in concert with working group and pod leads, my early inclinations of where AWG will focus its time and efforts are:

• Building and maintaining Coop KPIs
  • Building and maintaining new Simple Index KPIs, research
  • Building and maintaining new Leverage Index KPIs, research
  • Supporting Work Team Analysis with Market Opportunity research prior to DG2
  • Liquidity strategy and management
  • Index Coop Live Financial Statement
  • Business Development analytics dashboard
  • Institutional Business attribution experiments
  • Growth - personas, attribution, and experiments
  • Layer 2 strategy
  • Index Coop subgraph (in partnership with EWG)
  • Community analytics (discord, forums, etc)
  • New product backtesting, simulation

How will you interface with the community?

The AWG will be managed by the working group leader and core contributors. It is likely that core contributors will take natural spots close to specific working groups as a go-to point-of-contact. The AWG maintains a project board showing projects/requests completed, in-flight, or in backlog. Requests can be made by any community member, but will be weighed against other requests and prioritization decisions will be made to determine what is being worked on at any given time.

The AWG, for the first time, is going to start holding a weekly meeting for analytics contributors to sync, discuss priorities, solve blockers, and improve operations. This meeting will be open to any Coop contributor.

Early indications of where core contributors will focus support are as follows (subject to evolve):

@jdcook - KPIs, Liquidity, EWG (subgraph), Strategy

@sidhemraj - Leverage Indices Pod, Product, Liquidity

@anthonyb.eth - Treasury, Growth, KPIs

@jackiepoo - Simple Indices Pod, Business Dev., Institutional Bus.

This is just to highlight the nature of the organizational structure that we are hoping to create, where analytics contributors focus within specific pods in cross-functional manner to drive value.

Looking forward to another quarter of strong growth, both within the AWG and across the Coop!

Commitments

I am committed to Index Coop principles

I am committed to serving the entire Index Coop with my work.

I am committed to open, rapid communication: I know that clear, constant, public communication lifts up the entire Index Coop community. I am committed to this style of communication.

Shared learnings: I will share my progress, learnings with the entire community. I will ensure that anything I create is accessible beyond my own tenure for future generations of Indexers to access & build on.

Intellectual honesty: I am committed to growth and improvement. I am open to feedback and will use feedback to improve my work for the benefit of the entire Coop community.

I am committed to making Index Coop a welcoming, fun, and engaging community to work in!

• FOR
  • AGAINST

0 voters

18 Likes

Strongly FOR this @jdcook, I’d not realized we’d lost AWG talent to other DAOs like that, and I would love to see this WG continue and with increased appetite and ambition.

Fantastic work.

5 Likes

In full support of this proposal and very pleased to see @sidhemraj listed as a core contributor!

Sid has been a major asset to the Leverage Indices Pod and I’m happy to know he is being rewarded and retained for his exceptional work.

5 Likes

Strongly FOR AWG!! Looking forward to see what new analytics and data approach that will help push our products further. Cheers~

1 Like

Thanks for your support, @allan.g ! Looking forward to building and supporting more products with y’all.

2 Likes

Strongly FOR this WG proposal! Great to see support of Work Team Analysis prior to DG2 on the roadmap, and community analytics also makes me want to know more, keen to see where this is going!

1 Like

Brief table setting

• I’m putting on my “Funding Council” hat to pose questions (See Q4 Working Group Guidance to learn more about Working Group proposals)
  • My intent is to ask the questions that ping in my mind with the hope that they help the entire Coop better understand the proposal and thinking behind it.
  • Questions are pretty much posed in the order the topic appears in the post.
  • If a question doesn’t make sense or is entirely off-base, do call it out :slightly_smiling_face:

No need to change this, just noting that im assuming it’s “ending Dec. 31, 2021”

Is there anything foundational you believe needs to be done/changed in order to support this # of products from an analytics point-of-view?

Put another way, are there any current/core ways we do things at the Coop that are going to break at that scale?

Something similar (shifting to a pro-active stance), seems to be happening with EWG too.

What is needed from the Coop community in order to support the AWG’s desired shift to being pro-active?

It seems like the areas of focus are broadly…

• Product
    • Building and maintaining new Simple Index KPIs, research
    • Building and maintaining new Leverage Index KPIs, research
    • Supporting Work Team Analysis with Market Opportunity research prior to DG2
    • Liquidity strategy and management
    • Layer 2 strategy
    • New product backtesting, simulation
  • Treasury
    • Index Coop Live Financial Statement
  • Growth, broadly speaking (BD & IB & Growth)
    • Building and maintaining Coop KPIs
    • Business Development analytics dashboard
    • Institutional Business attribution experiments
    • Growth - personas, attribution, and experiments
  • Engineering
    • Index Coop subgraph (in partnership with EWG)
  • POC
    • Community analytics (discord, forums, etc)

Are there are areas of focus that I’m missing? Am I thinking about this ^ incorrectly?

How are requests made?

Looking at Request for Feedback: Index Coop KPIs v2.0

Is continuing to work on “v2” growth KPIs a priority?

Thanks for the thoughtful questions, @anon10525910!

To be honest, I don’t think I have anything too specific on this from an analytics point of view. From my own personal point-of-view, after thinking about it for a bit, I think I could muster up a solid discussion. But, while I think this is a great question for us to be thinking about, I think it falls a bit outside this proposal. Mostly because the analytics team hasn’t spent any time/effort focused on this and I don’t think I have much to offer from that perspective.

I don’t know if anything is necessarily needed from the community other than a willingness to allow analytics contributors to jump in and be a part of your respective working groups / pods. My vision for the future is that working groups / pods will never be working on core objectives without an analytics contributor as a part of the team. Analytics should feel much more like an embedded function everywhere across the DAO as we progress.

I think that is a great summarization / categorization, yes. This is a starting list, essentially. We are in the process of scheduling and having discussions with all working groups and pods to understand what initiatives they are working on this quarter and how analytics can help them succeed. The result of this should be a defined roadmap for the quarter - obviously that can evolve, but this helps us be much more of an embedded partner with other groups / pods rather than just a request center.

We are waffling back and forth on having an “intake form”, however, I really just want to avoid the request center type relationship. So as of right now, it will continue to be via reaching out to #analytics in discord or attending our weekly meeting and raising questions/requests.

You bet! I think you should see a forum post up with suggested v2 updates within the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Absolutely in support. Vital work comes form this group and I adding 3 core contributors is a good move. I look forward to more insights and to the action and planning that can come from them. My only question is to ask why not a 6 month proposal?

1 Like

Note – looks like the final poll was recently added

Yes, lol. Thanks @anon10525910! Final poll added! Thanks everyone in the comments for your support!

1 Like

Strongly for this group. We’ve had analytics on the Simple Indices pod for one week and we’ve already seen great returns.

3 Likes

Great work here! We are building an analytics powerhouse at Index Coop - super excited to see where this group goes over the next cycle.

2 Likes

Noting that the poll is still open for a day, still, confirming that this ^ is all to be held by the FC Wallet [ack. IIP-90].

• $38,135 of INDEX
  • 1,462.5 INDEX [edit, typo from me]

Good question - we have been re-imbursing Dune Pro accounts out of the AWG wallet. Will that continue?

that should be fine to continue for now :+1:

Glad to see this called out - retaining the talent we want is vital to our success.

Happy that you’re taking an aggressive perspective on Q4 - full support from me :metal:

5 Likes