**POLL ADDED!**Proposal: Language Operations Working Group (LOWG) Q4 2021

LOWG is mission-critical for geographic expansion. Keep up the great work!

5 Likes

Well done @mrvls_brkfst

Strongly in favour of this WG going into its next phase of evolution and growth!

5 Likes

Really exciting to see the reach we’re able to achieve with community contributors and hopefully the expanded reach continues to attract new brilliant talent worldwide.

3 Likes

If you consider translation in Romanian let me know and I will help

3 Likes

Strongly in support of @mrvls_brkfst and LOWG driving global adoption and growth.

4 Likes

Strongly support LOWG initiatives

4 Likes

Brief table setting

• I’m putting on my “Funding Council” hat to pose questions (See Q4 Working Group Guidance to learn more about Working Group proposals)
  • My intent is to ask the questions that ping in my mind with the hope that they help the entire Coop better understand the proposal and thinking behind it.
  • Questions are pretty much posed in the order the topic appears in the post.
  • If a question doesn’t make sense or is entirely off-base, do call it out :slightly_smiling_face:

Two general questions off-the-bat

• What goes into translating Coop content into other languages? Worded differently: how does something go from translation request → published?
  • How much of the content being produced is original vs. translated?

Interesting, so it is believed that having translated content on a native blog will help with SEO?

Out of curiosity, when is language expertise required? When does that come up?

Noting that further down in the post this is answered to a degree, “The LOWG works closely with the Growth Working Group and the Creative and Design Working Group.”

How is this different than their focus in the proposed-APWG?

How does the LOWG decide which languages to focus on?

Very well written @mrvls_brkfst , you have been a great leader

I have been receiving a great feedback from brazilians who keep up with my portuguese translations from the Coop. This is very important, knowing that Brazil is so adept to crypto and blockchain technologies, even though most brazilians don’t speak english.

I think this proposal is needed because it will result in a more formal and productive work in the LOWG.

6 Likes

I don’t think there’s a more crystal-clear example of meeting our community where they’re at than the stated goals of this WG. If we’re activating the flywheel of adoption that leverages product users as evangelists, LOWG may drive that entire process for non-English community members and contributors. Hearing yesterday that there is a growing need for translation to English really brought it all full-circle for me in terms of the wholistic value that this WG provides; I feel quite fortunate that I can communicate in IC’s native language, but the next 10 great indexing and DAO innovations may be knocking around already in Mandarin or Portuguese or Turkish and I want them here at Index Coop.

@mrvls_brkfst you’ve been amazing at managing and innovating within this initiative ahead WG formation and beyond and I really want to see this continue. Really appreciative of the efforts to date by all contributors within this WG; I will help support this WG in any way I can and will be voting ‘FOR’.

7 Likes

@anon10525910 , thank you!

In the LOWG, we only do translations. Original work comes from Growth and we translate it. In this next quarter, there is potential for new groups and sub verticals, such as APAC, China BD, and India BD, to create local content that we could then translate to English. This will be a new development and likely small-scale to begin. We’re a multiplier for the IC’s content. Original work goes through the relevant WG.

Content for translation is listed in our spreadsheet and translators choose articles they think are good for their audiences. Many times, a translator will be up-to-date and translate an article on its release. Guidance on articles important to the IC is given by yellow highlighting of what the GWG has identified for publishing on the new website and, sometimes, I will flag key texts. There is also a preference to be timely, so new news is flagged in discord or, especially for product releases, we get the text beforehand and publish in tandem - this helps create more of a social media wave as well.

Translators have a target range or number of translations each month and plan accordingly. Occasionally, there are urgent important blogs, such as those helping with FLI, that cause a translator to go over their planned number. In these cases, we have been able to allocate budget from quieter months or under target channels to make up the difference.

It’s not necessarily that translated material boosts the SEO, more that having content on the site that is seen by search engines as the main authority helps it be better ranked and found over hosting content on other sites. For all its cool, substack is often noted as ranking badly in search. I expect the blogs on indexcoop.com to outrank third-party blogs with similar content with the effect becoming greater over time, especially with our site designers being savvy with technical SEO. Badly oversimplifying, a Spanish blog about DPI will do better on the IC’s site than on most private blogs. Also, hopefully, people will read more than one article and we will get a snowball effect as we publish more and more.

There have been occasional requests for pitch-deck and one-pager content in other languages and IC translators were able to help. Also, for the DATA launch, Tudou was involved early on in translating content. I would like for us to have been able to help with other languages in the region but we have our limits and were not well enough established there. This kind of work does not come from the LOWG budget. It is more that having the LOWG means that these people are available in the IC.

Language work with the APWG will be original work and paid for by them much like GWG content is produced. The LOWG will translate it if relevant to English and other languages.
Tudou will manage translations to Chinese from English as part of the LOWG. Unless he wants to go well beyond what is budgeted.

The choice of languages comes from a combination of areas identified in conversation with Growth as important to achieving IC KPI targets and a strong determination and commitment from a contributor to make IC content available in their native language.

5 Likes

Yes agree, just want to clarify that the APWG content budget is only $1250 per month to pay for creating new content for APAC channels. This is much lower than would be required to also translate content. Looked to delineate between creating content (APWG) and attributing translation work to the experts at LOWG

From my IRL work as a senior digital growth strategist I can 100% confirm that Search Engine Optimisation is an essential, highly effective and long-term strategy to increase our online visibility, authority and trust. It makes it easier to be found online and rank on the first page of Google’s search results - which albeit web 2, is still actually a thing for millions of future retail investors. Driving visitors to an owned channel (website) means more data and increased visibility into how well the content we create, actually performs.

3 Likes

I’ve always been a staunch supporter of LOWG!! So my views are bias. Lol. Anyways super stocked… and with @mrvls_brkfst at the helm to coordinate. I’m also seeing a lot of synergy between LOWG and APWG!!! Another hyper bullish WG!! Hh.

4 Likes

Final vote now added as per IIP-85. Thank you for voting!

4 Likes

Looking forward to the next quarter and excited to develop LOWG further!

3 Likes

Hoot hoot!!! waiting for the official ANNOUNCEMENT by @mrvls_brkfst… eitherway… LOWG onwards!!! :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Confirming total budget of $95,700 in INDEX all to be held in the FC multisig

(5,000 *3) + 80,700 = $95,700 in INDEX

@mrvls_brkfst do i have this correct?

2 Likes

Hi @anon10525910, not quite! The budget is inclusive of the stipend. So, $80,700 all in, budget and stipend. All to be paid in INDEX direct from the FC multisig.

2 Likes

NOTICE: Anyone considering contributing translations, please contact @mrvls_brkfst here or in Discord #language ops It is essential that translations are coordinated and approved. There is no budget for submissions without agreement.

3 Likes

Great job, you have described very specific and convincing. What do you think if we expand more in the Vietnamese market, a country with a young population, which is thriving in cryptor segment?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! We have not yet had any content produced for the Vietnamese market. I think it is something that we will be able to consider with the Asia Pacific and Growth teams as we move into the new year. Make sure to check in on Discord and come the the Language Ops discussions.

2 Likes