**Updated** Request for Feedback: New Product Onboarding Process

@catjam I do not think my point of view on negotiating fee splits was accurately captured so I’ll clarify here.

I don’t believe that the existing process for negotiating fee splits works. @setoshi captures a lot of the problems I see in the incentive dynamics between other Index Coop stakeholders and methodologists in An Analysis of Methodologist Incentive Dynamics.

I am not in support of a shift in responsibility for fee split negotiations from BDWG to PWG. I do not believe that shifting this responsibility will solve any of the current problems in the process or incentive dynamics.

I am in support of:

• increased transparency
  • developing objective guidelines for product fee splits (Methodologist Fee Menu as an example of what could be designed or implemented)
  • overhauling methodologist incentives

Determining fee splits is frustrating because:

1. Process is slow and inadequate: No directly responsible individual or working group with community buy-in.

2. Process is arbitrary and unfair: Methodologist fee split is 30% for every simple index product despite widely ranging degrees of effort and resources provided by Index Coop and methodologists.

3. No negotiations are actually taking place: Fee split offers are being made without anyone being empowered for a give-and-take conversation - hence no actual negotiation is really taking place. The fee split offers for simple indices are always 30%/70% regardless of what the methodologist and Index Coop offer during the process, and as far as I know, there is no process for changing future fee split based on what different parties have brought to the table over time.

4. New products are at substantial disadvantage in the Methodologist Bounty Program: This has been discussed ad-nauseum to the point of exhaustion and so I will not go into details here.

cc: @snasps @Jo_K @Mringz @fallow8 @oneski22 @TheYoungCrews

8 Likes