Index Improvement Proposals (IIP) Process

Great insight @funkmasterflex - just adding some color from my perspective,

I had made an early attempt to garner feedback on this topic and received some ‘likes’ but not enough discussion to identify a path forward for the community. I’m of the opinion that quorum is a hurdle that should be respected, and if it is not achieved we should not re-run the IIP without a material change to the specification. In terms of a failure (vote against), same thing, I think without material change reruns should not be allowed, but again I’d be looking to facilitate the will of the community on this one; my feelings are mine and they are not broadly shared. I acknowledge this is a challenge for the DAO and have some other thoughts on how to address this; all feedback welcome and if you thing that the drain on resources rises to the level of a workshop for discussion I’d be happy to co-facilitate with you, but to date the community has not flagged this as a concern worthy of direct address by GovNest, and reruns have prevented negative outcomes in the past.

The short answer is yes, there should be better scrutiny by vote-type (and there is in the case of Product IIPs). The drain you mention (I’d call it waste - it takes mental capital to decide and facilitate, but is wasted when execution isn’t favorable or possible) has historically been addressed by a sunsetting IIP; however I agree that accountability on execution has not been fully owned to date by any Nest - we’ve taken the tack to date that information and awareness through sunsetting is an approach that works, but isn’t ideal. One idea we had was having something like a ‘signoff’ by the relevant parties that @sixtykeys mentioned in his response (affected and executing, as deciding is the token vote and proposal is foregone at that stage). The other idea is having increasingly prescriptive IIP templates by decision type as we’ve seen with Product Launch and Seasonal Proposal; but this seems to be happening organically as we move from emergence to ossification in our organizational remit, but we’ll keep accountability top-of-mind and welcome all feedback on this as well. really good call-outs that hit on a ton of topics we discuss/think-about regularly!

3 Likes