IndexCoop DAO Internship Program

Blurb and @catjam take a look at she256. Their goal is promoting diversity in the blockchain industry.

@Pepperoni_Joe and @oneski22 same prompt, she256 has a channel for #jobs-careers, might be worth advertising it there if looking to expand our reach beyond crypto twitter!

3 Likes

Blurb and @catjam take a look at she256. Their goal is promoting diversity in the blockchain industry.

Yes for sure! I’m involved with them as a mentor and think they’d be a great partner. They will be best able to partner with us when we have some more details on the program & a firm commitment to it. I’m happy to be point person there, and include @blurb if they’d like!

5 Likes

I am currently doing my full-time internship this summer, but I really want to join this program as a part-time contributor. It would be great if this internship opens for part-time candidates like me. I am passionate about DeFi and would love to pivot my career in this space. This program would be a great starting point for me to gain knowledge and build necessary skills ready for the market.

2 Likes

Love the idea as well; especially the women in crypto aspect that could later be expanded to other underrepresented groups.
I’ve actually drafted an outline for an event that would also aim to get more women into crypto Not-quite-Hackathon for Women in Crypto - Google Docs
This could possibly serve as a pre-selection process where the most skilled/fitting candidates then move on to be interns.
I would be keen to work on this in whatever way makes sense.

3 Likes

The main post has been updated to reflect the latest iteration of the internship program. Huge thanks to everyone that has commented, reached out on discord/twitter with ideas.

Let’s keep the conversation going and continue to move this closer to being a reality!

3 Likes

Only seeing this now, but awesome idea!

I’m incredibly interested in the program and would love to apply, my Discord usernames is Peeps#5778 and I would love to follow up with a bunch of questions to make sure I can put forth a strong application!

This is a great initiative, especially for people new in the field. I, myself started learning Solidity very recently. It would be a great opportunity for individuals like me to learn by working in a team of experienced professionals.

I think this is a great initiative! It sounds like a great way to get people acclimated to working in a DAO.

One suggestion I was thinking would be offering this during Aug - Nov. This would allow people who are in school to apply. Also it wouldn’t compete with traditional summer internships, attracting a wider talent pool. I think it could attract people doing their undergraduate or masters programs. I know people in my mba program who would definitely be interested in applying!

1 Like

We are doing our first Women in Index Coop call tomorrow for female contributors. I am extremely committed to building the strongest female community in DeFi at IC.

In my eyes the keys to helping shape the diversity of our community is to create strong nucleuses within our community of people with different backgrounds. (See our work with APOC community, efforts towards creating an Index Africa pod @mrings, and community calls for female contributors).

A significant number of our core contributors are volunteering with She256 (@Metfanmike @DarkForestCapital @anon10525910 and myself). When taken as a whole each one of these actions slowly starts to build up and create a truly diverse community. For example on our introductions thread a growing number of new joiners are female.

Diversity starts by making our community safe and welcoming for everyone. And everyone has a role to play there.

We can do this! :muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

6 Likes

wow – love to hear this @BigSky7 !! LMK if there’s anything I can help with. Would love to be a resource for the women in IC group. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When would the next internship Start?

I thinks this is the great way to onboard young builders to web3 world, specially DAO has worst onboarding experience now. I’d love to support for these kind of program and hope to see more in Index Coop!

1 Like

Hey @kohei indeed onboarding is quite a phenomenon in the web 3 ecosystem, and I think DAOs are better design to have a generic and evolving process of onboarding. Take for example the IC New Joiner Call get you onboarded from the broadest perspective as a DAO-Index.
a further layer to onboarding here at IC Is the BDWG onboarding process and task, @funkmasterflex has a beautiful onboarding process designed for the BDWG Onboarding process to suite our vision, mission and objectives. independent from the new joiner’s call and Copper Owl Quest, check out other WG onboarding processes within the coop! cool!

I’d like to run this program back & do it again but also acknowledge we’ve seen plenty of new contributors from typical internship age come in & start contributing to the coop without the need for a specific internship program.

thoughts @Pepperoni_Joe ? Should we run a fresh internship program in January or just roll the energy into our University Relations BD effort & continue recruiting/onboarding efforts broadly.

3 Likes

We’re working on a refresh of the internship program and will have a proposal up soon!

3 Likes

no better man for the job, QZ!

Definitely a great idea to test an Internship Program. Details can naturally be adjusted after iterations but what caught my attention was the mentor scheme. I think it would be very valuable to have close contact in the community in the beginning if you are newer to the DeFi and DAO space.

2 Likes

I have found the same, @catjam. It seems that a good starting point for organizations like us that are weighted more towards certain backgrounds are these growth groups like Women in IC. That is a great idea! Groups that support certain minorities in the DAO will not only encourage more of these minorities to join but also encourage them to stay.

I am involved in Forefront DAO that has channels for various minorities that only people from that background are a part of. I think this is also important—minorities should be given a space to solve problems they face collaboratively without input from those who do not face the same problems. This has been hugely helpful to me as a woman in the DAO, and I imagine it is valued by those of minority races/sexual orientations as well because the channels are popular. Often representatives from these channels bring their ideas to the entire DAO.

As for @blurb’s query about finding disproportionately female spaces to recruit from, I think that the Women’s group within IC will actually serve as this to some degree, as women who feel supported will feel comfortable inviting other women into the organization. This may be one of those issues that we could pass on to the Women’s group so they can brainstorm before we provide input, as they are probably most understanding of the reasons women do and do not join IC.

4 Likes

Would love to hear more about the channels at forefront and connect on diversity efforts!! I’m one of the co-leads of Women of Index Coop. you can find me on discord at catjam#6271 if you’re up for a chat!