[ELECTION CLOSED] Index Council V2: Nomination Thread and Process

Thank you to @MrMadila for your s/o. I would also like to return the s/o and self-nominate myself.

Re Index V1
I think overall, IC V1 was a decent success - achieving the things various people call out above - and this next Council will inherit a lot from their work. Thank you to all seven, especially those who stayed active til the very end. The ship is slowly turning to better shores - we need to kept it going and not lose our direction again.

Centralization vs. Decentralization
I just think it’s just too early to know exactly and I’m instinctively cautious about being maximalist/religious about anything. There is hundred’s over years’ of innovation and best practice to refer to re joint stock companies. But, we should also just focus on what works in our DAO and its mission. DAO best practice is emerging for sure, but we should be thoughtful re what we try and deploy - there are many different DAOs, with many different community types and sizes and hugely different missions.

Transparency
Matt and Mike advised this framework, which I largely agree with: “The Council should communicate when a decision is made, the rationale for the decision, and, if applicable, the rationale behind dissenting votes.”

I’d also add that the Council should be transparent, or willing to respond to certain requests, where it can be; and not when it cannot be. It can be on things like internal resourcing, contributor renumeration, etc. It shouldn’t be where it gives away strategic information which affects a partner negotiation, major project, etc

Transparency when it’s reasonable and does not prejudice the success of the Council or wider DAO - and the Council gets to decide where and how transparency is needed. If the contributors don’t like the transparency balance, they can consider that at the next IC vote.

Conflicts of Interest
None.

Resource Allocation
I have been a startup founder, worked in five fintech startups and lead bd and marketing teams within them. This has helped me learn to always think re resources in hand, strategic bets we’re making and of ways to generate more resources, at the right time.

I think we’ve very significantly slimmed down our organisation, and tightened focus, but there’s more tightening of focus to do and then more rigorous supporting of those efforts.

Generally, I don’t think we need to launch 50-100 products this year - which has huge costs and support loads across many nests - but a smaller number (guess: 7-20) while we focus on the 4-5 growth strategies which could help us 10x TVL this year. Other DAO initiatives should be supportive to and not get in the way of those few growth strategies - and key people on them should be kept as distraction free as possible.

While I’d be looking to 10x TVL as the DAO’s main goal this year, I’d also want to seek financial sustainability either this year or not long into next, while also supporting a diverse range of products and fee types enabling us to earn income in all market types. I think our product portfolio diversity is getting there - and by the end of Season 1, with yield products in the market, we will have made a large leap forwards.

Delegation of Decision Making
Delegation where it makes sense - operational, tactical, etc - and by Council where it makes sense - setting strategy, reviewing strategy, pivoting strategy. If I am NOT elected to ICV 2 I would support the Council by respecting this framework, where they set the limits/definitions.

Why (I think) I would make a good council member

• I have been here since Q4 ’20 (through many ups and downs!), am full-time, and am happy to do this Council work even though in many ways it’s harder than a leadership role in a startup - with less clear remits - and potentially an uneconomic decision (more work, more stress, little direct increase in renumeration)(hopefully Council value add helps the DAO, results and thus, token price)
  • I just like to get sh*t done. That’s what we’re here to do. It’s pretty simple.
  • I don’t mind making hard decisions, sometimes with complex inputs and uncertainty, and have done this in many roles
  • I make mistakes but will admit to them and cite them - honesty re this should be a practice from bottom to top. If an organisation doesn’t talk about mistakes honestly (while also learning from them and not making them over and over), it simply becomes one of arse covering and hiding errors
  • I am a strategic leader but also a tactical doer - and won’t ask people to do things I wouldn’t myself

Thank you for reading this - I’d be honoured if I were to receive your vote.

If I don’t get voted in, I will continue to support the Council as I do today and ‘disagree and commit’ to overall strategy decisions I might not agree with.

Good luck to all the runners and riders!

16 Likes