[ELECTION CLOSED] Index Council V2: Nomination Thread and Process

gm @StepvhenH

I can confirm that the voting website is operating properly and you should rank 7 out of the total field; ideally the 7 you prefer to see serve on the council.

Hi @mel.eth,

To confirm my understanding here, the 6 month initial term date was used, but council members don’t receive Council level renumeration whilst between councils ie: 28/02 to 31/04.

Renumeration is linked to if the council is active or not and the duration of time served is 6 months form when appointed.

It is a bit messy and the first iterations of the council are also faced with the most challenges. I think going into V3, there needs to be a lot smoother transition. In some ways we lost a month of time here, we need to capitalise on the opportunities to improve here.

Just want to clarify this as contributor rewards are going out soon.

1 Like

As voting continues I would like to encourage us to take cognizance of the fact that ICC V1, was great and they set a good foot forward. And we must now envision a better council that will, and must consider a truly diversified “Transparent” decentralization that must at this level of Decentralization, reflect on our ICC V2 council members.
One Important thing to consider, the amount of nominated women/Non-binary contributors and the percentage voted in!

6 Likes

The initial council term was ~3-months concluding on 28Feb2022 with no consideration of ongoing terms for those council members. For clarity the v2 council term will begin 01April2022 and members will be remunerated at the Band 6 rate for the time elected and served.

Council remuneration is linked to elected service (not appointment, to clarify), not a prescribed timeframe. Should a councilmember step back from elected service (as I did) or a term ends (as yours did) remuneration should return to the level of service that contributor provides otherwise. I think we’re saying the same thing I’m just clarifying that term lengths have changed from v1 (3 months) to v2 (6 months).

2 Likes

We are saying the exact same thing on the renumeration front which is good.

2 Likes

For awareness; thank you to all voters and candidates!

https://app.choicevoting.co.uk/election/ended/WGYWKgGYvj

Elected Owls for Index Council v2:
@anthonyb.eth
@catjam
@afromac
@Metfanmike
@Matthew_Graham
@edwardk
@0x_Dev

25 Likes

Great selection! Huge congrats to all, commiserations to those that dmi!
V. excited to see the results of this team in action.

18 Likes

Congrats Council v2. Excellent team!

15 Likes

Congratulations to all owls elected to the Index Council. Stoked to see what we can achieve throughout this council’s term :rocket:

5 Likes

Congratulations to the new elected council members.

4 Likes

great team! Huge congrats to all the owls selected. This next six months will be truly awesome!

5 Likes

Congratulations to the newly elected coop council. All the best to you all in taking IC to newer heights.

1 Like

Following up with a Conflict of Interest statement, which I didn’t specify in my original post!

I have a full time job at Flipside Crypto, where I lead product + ops for our DAO initiatives. I currently work in MetricsDAO as part of that remit. MetricsDAO is pre-token, and I do not receive contributor rewards there. I do not have any significant token holdings (defined as >5% of my net worth) to disclose.

6 Likes

As a formality just posting here that a member (Matt G) of the council has stepped down.
Full details here

Also seeking to kick off the official conversation around re-electing a new member. Some questions to get the juices flowing:

1. Can someone please provide a quick refresh on the process off “snap elections”
  2. What is a realistic ETA for such a vote?
  3. I ask this question from an entirely objective and neutral stance: Do we have any rules or guidance around re-nomination / re-election / cool off periods etc for council members who voluntarily step down?

cc @0x_Dev @catjam @anthonyb.eth @afromac @Metfanmike @edwardk
and @mel.eth

Thanks

6 Likes

Hey @MrMadila,

The council is discussing next steps for a special election with @GovNest (@mel.eth) and we are discussing the details today.

Thanks,
Anthony

4 Likes

Hi @anthonyb.eth,

Can the council please advise if members of the MGC are eligible to vote? I believe these contributors, who receive monthly payments from Index Coop were ineligible to vote last time. Hopefully we can address this issue as the contributors in questions are stated as being apart of the Metagovernance Pod during the Season 1 budget proposal from Governance Nest.

Is it fair to assume, that the call for nomination to go out early next week is reasonable. A snap election should be just that, snappy, and not overly bureaucratic.

It certainly has been a busy time for the council this last couple weeks. Thank you in advance and keep up the great work.

5 Likes

I’ll defer to @anthonyb.eth but for clarity around the process as it stands and progress toward same wrt filling the vacant Index Council seat absent direction:

The Index Council Snap Election nominations will start on Monday 18 April 2022 and run through Friday 22 April 2022 to fill one seat. The election will be via choice vote (same process as last time) and start on 25 April 2022 running for 72 hours. Voter rolls will be determined using the S1 nest proposals and any subsequent updates through EOD 15 April 2022. If there are additions or exceptions to the voter roll determined by council, please communicate them here and we’ll pick them up in the nomination post along with reference to the relevant lists/levels otherwise.

GovNest will be posting a separate call for recommendations, suggestions, and dare I say complaints that will inform process improvement for the next round (which will be determined via open meetings coordinated by GovNest), currently planned ahead of @Metfanmike’s seat vacating on 31 May 2022 ( nominations starting 02 May 2022 and election on 09 May 2022 to give a two-week transition period).

Philosophically, a vacant seat when 7 are prescribed represents unplanned centralization. A council may override, but we are in strong agreement @Matthew_Graham that vacant seats should be filled quickly.

I’ll note that payment of the MGC seems to run through GovNest for accounting purposes, but not in practicality as a standard IIP created the MGC, not the nesting process. The ICCv1 did not clearly identify the MGC as DAO contributors, and I would caution against doing so; they need to remain independent deciders imo. The stance of this DAO and Gov Nest absent financial considerations has been that the MGC is an independent body, elected to decide when INDEX voters don’t reach quorum, not DAO contributors. That said, they can be both if they contribute outside of the MGC chat as do @Lavi and @ncitron. @Lavi is compensated separately for operational duties inside the MGC as execution is not part of the IIP mandate and needs to occur regardless of whether MGC of INDEX voters decide. I’ll defer to council action here if there is any to be had, but my recommendation is that MGC contribution remain under the IIP framework for both payment and modification to remain credibly neutral.

3 Likes

Just want to be clear here. Do you not mean 30th June? Since the election and ultimately start date of the new council was not until 1st April (there was a one-month gap with no council being March) meaning those that served on V1 Council being now only @Metfanmike, the end of June would be 6 months total, end of May is only 5 months…

V1 council December 1st to February 28th → 3 months
Same elected member April 1st → 30th June imo

1 Like

gm @ElliottWatts -

You may find this response to your previous post helpful.

Given @Metfanmike is the affected party and you seem to be lobbying on his behalf, I’d recommend reaching out directly and coordinating an effort to communicate wrt term-length as these previously addressed calls for clarity on a topic that’s well in hand by all other parties are more akin to direct communication at this stage. By way of explanation, the conception of the v1.0 council that determined the polling for this was around a complete 6-month term for v1.0, not two 3-moth terms, but regardless of intent @Metfanmike’s term ends on 31 May 2022 as publicly posted above and acknowledged by @Metfanmike again separately for extreme clarity on the matter.

3 Likes

Not lobbying on behalf of anyone, I would challenge regardless of who would be impacted. The math just doesn’t add up to me, I’m a numbers guy so can’t help challenging something when I see it being wrong. However the process seems to have been finalised so look forward to another vote in May. Thanks for your help clarifying Mel.

4 Likes