title: Adopt A Code of Conduct
author: Paul (@darkforestcap)
Adopt a Code of Conduct for the Index Cooperative community.
Adopt and make visible a Code of Conduct for the community to abide by. The basis for the text is taken from the widely used Contributor Covenant, but has sections relating to ‘enforcement’ removed, as Index Coop currently has no leadership structure and should apply the code collaboratively.
As the Index Cooperative continues to grow it is important we have defined a set of standards upheld by community members. The community is currently acting in an inclusive and respectful way, so this should just be a tick-box exercise that codifies the expectation.
Similar projects have added this type of framework retroactively after struggling without an agreed standard to refer to. The motivation here is that while Index Coop currently functions fine without a CoC, we want to avoid leaving it too late and getting into a situation where it becomes necessary to adopt in hindsight.
This IIP recommends the following Code of Conduct is adopted by the community where it will be visible in Discord and can be referred to if the need arises. It aims to protect the inclusive nature of our community by giving clear guidelines for conduct:
We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.
Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:
- Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
- Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
- Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
- Accepting responsibility and apologizing to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience
- Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals, but for the overall community
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- The use of sexualized language or imagery, and sexual attention or advances of any kind
- Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
- Public or private harassment
- Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or email address, without their explicit permission
- Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting
This Code of Conduct applies within all community spaces, and also applies when an individual is officially representing the community in public spaces. Examples of representing our community include using an official e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event.
For: Implement modified version of the contributor covenant as shown above
Against: Do not implement a code of conduct
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.
- FOR: Implement a modified version of the contributor covenant as shown above.
- AGAINST: Do not implement a code of conduct