The goal of this document is to outline and discuss the fundamental principles that guide our interactions at Index Coop. The time has come to revisit, update, and re-affirm our Code of Conduct and guiding principles.
Our protocol is currently engaged in several challenging conversations that require us to grow and evolve. Every single topic is difficult, multi-faceted, and highly complex.
As we face those challenges and debate the resolution, it becomes easy to grow frustrated and demoralized. Occasionally antagonism and negative behaviors enter some of our forums and chats. When you read through contentious forum posts, you can almost feel the frustration. All share this feeling of frustration. We must not let our frustrations turn negative or degrade our conversations.
If our goal is to grow as a community, we need to establish mutually agreed-upon principles and core values to guide these discussions. We need to have an honest and open conversation across our community around what values and norms we need to uphold while interacting with each other.
A good starting point for this discussion is for us to revisit and flesh out our guiding principles. We re-iterate each of these principles before every call. The principles serve as the basis for our interactions.
Here are our guiding principles and some thoughts on each. These Principles are the foundation of our community.
We interact with empathy
We are a digital organization, but we must not lose sight of each other’s humanity. We are a community of human beings and can not lose empathy for each other. Only through true friendship, kindness, and mutual support can we thrive as both community members and individuals.
We work together towards shared goals
We operate in an intellectually challenging and intense environment that requires sophisticated teamwork to navigate. Across the DAO, there are many complex problems. We need community members who are committed to working together to find solutions. Solving these problems is hard work, and ultimately this is the work our protocol pays us to do.
We’re on a never-ending journey of growth & improvement
Our community is filled with brilliant people. Every proposal or forum post I read blows me away. We keep getting better and better. Each of us continues to learn and improve while on the job. We are all in this together, and will only reach our full potential by working together. We are here to help each other grow, not to drag each other down.
We foster a sense of belonging
in any truly complex or difficult human endeavor that requires teamwork, individual skills are far less important than the ability to work on a team. We are building a great team, and we can only make this team from a strong foundation. We build this team on a shared sense of belonging. Everyone is in this together, everyone is equal.
We foster a sense of safety
If people get anxiety from checking our forums or are worried about personal attacks, they will leave our community. We cannot grow and evolve if some of our most dedicated and passionate members are afraid to voice their opinions or put themselves under the spotlight. Safety is closely tied to a sense of belonging.
Index Coop has a Code of Conduct laid out by Dylan and Dark Forest Capital from October of last year. We need to update this code of conduct to more closely reflect the current realities of our protocol.
Listed below are some potential additions.
Interacting with External Parties
- Commit to upholding the highest standard of professional conduct
- Ensure that conversations are shared and community members feel welcome to join them
- Commit to acting in good faith and the betterment of the protocol
- Not act to extract value from the protocol
- Not acting with external parties to create disruption and chaos in the community
- Disclosing conflicts of interest when applicable (great example)
For External Parties
- Commit to working with the Coop to find win-win solutions
- Commit to engaging with the community as a whole and not rely on single individuals
- Embrace discussion and consensus building
- Ensure that communications happen in public or semi-public channels when possible
- Add value to the Coop and not act in an extractive manner
Positive Internal behavior
- Committing to take ownership and move conversations forward in a meaningful way
- Help solve problems, don’t just point out issues
- Put the protocol and community first. We are building something that is bigger than any one individual
- Come together instead of forming alliances. All large organizations have some element of politics, whenever possible we must strive to prevent this dynamic from evolving
- Strive to understand the others’ position better than they do themselves when receiving opposing feedback
Specifically prohibited behavior
Note: Being listed here is not meant to signal that specific behavior is currently occurring
- Personal or public attacks against other community members
- Degrading the work or contribution of another community member
- Screenshotting and sharing private chats or conversations. If there is a presumption of privacy in communication we must respect that
- Making threats against the protocol or degrading any of our partners in the ecosystem
- Actively trying to drive someone from our community
Suggested approach for engaging with and correcting unwanted behavior.
If a person or group within Index Coop or outside our organization violates one of these principles, we encourage community members to correct them gently. Disagreements are best solved through 1-1 conversation prior to addressing concerns in a public forum. We do not want to form an authoritarian top-down approach to rule enforcement, instead, we want to encourage community-wide policing and gentle corrections when needed.
If further communication does not succeed, I recommend that we form ad-hoc panels composed of four community members chosen at random from active contributors to adjudicate and help correct behavior.
Individuals who have repeatedly broken our code of conduct will be banned from participating in all Index Coop channels for a set period. This includes the removal of active governance posts or proposals.
As we engage in increasingly complex discussions both internally and externally, we need to lay the foundation for successful conversations. Creating this code of conduct will take active work and discussion by our entire community. This discussion will give us a document everyone can be proud of that will set the standard for the broader ecosystem of DAOs.
- Community discussion, iteration, and improvement of our Code of Conduct
- Ratify this Code of Conduct through community, investors, and methodologist signature
- Final IIP to establish this Code of Conduct as the final reference point for guiding our most difficult conversations
If our Principals and Code Of Conduct resonated with you please comment to affirm your commitment to these values and offer any ways we can improve