Optimizing Discord with "Roles"

I understand what is being proposed, but imo this just adds a layer of complexity (where it doesn’t need to added). I agree the bulk of communication occurs on these 2 levels (public and DM). I don’t think a semi-private chat room changes the use/need of DM’s. Are we saying there needs to be a room for semi-private information that is too sensitive for public, but should be shared with a larger group of people? There was ~70 contributors in May. Even if the number of contributors was to triple in size (which would create separate issues), its hard for me to see a justification for an added layer of complexity (maybe it’s just my perception).

The real issue, imo - is minimizing new “community members” from DM’ing and distracting core contributors. Which I think the idea of creating more defined groups within discord helps solve. (Something addressed by @BigSky7 and others in upcoming initiatives in community management](Upcoming initiatives in Community Management (+extras) - #9 by verto0912)

3 Likes