Q1-2021 is long in the books. Now, we must look towards what we want to achieve as a community in the rest of Q2-2021.
The goal of this post is to share
- A work-in-progress vision of the Coop to help orient us with a long-term perspective
- 3 objectives to guide us this quarter
- 4 key performance indicators (KPIs) to help us know whether we are on track towards those objectives
The Index Coop is on a mission to make crypto investing simple, safe, and accessible for everyone.
To achieve this mission over the long term, the Coop must invest in 3 areas:
- Product growth
- Community autonomy
- Protocol sustainability
Balancing these three priorities is not easy.
Yet, if we are successful, the outcome will be massive. The Coop will continue to be a model for other crypto communities to follow. We will have balanced 1) creating value for our stakeholders with 2) building a DeFi Citadel while 3) shipping & growing at startup speed.
Here are some rough ideas for what that end-state of the Coop might look like:
- Model Crypto Citizen: We are known in crypto as being a model of a well-run DAO that produces impact & outcomes. This will attract high-quality stakeholders and create a positive feedback loop.
- Startup-like: The Index Coop is a startup (Paul Graham & Steve Blank offer two widely-accepted definitions). Success will follow if we borrow values, thinking, and actions crucial for tech startup success.
- Global: We have active, engaged community members in crypto-epicenters around the world.
- Balanced governance: Influence is balanced between major stakeholders.
- Fluid power: Self-forming, delivering, and dissolving teams are the primary way we tackle problems as a community.
- Self-perpetuating: Coop leaders of all kinds create new leaders to ensure the community continues to improve and grow.
- DeFi Leaders: We envision the Coop as the training ground for the next generation of crypto and DeFi leaders. We hope that this community will help spawn the protocol founders and crypto leaders of tomorrow. These community members will continue to deeply engage with Index Coop and spread the Coop gospel (recruiting, protocol politicking, other collaboration).
These ideas are still early and need feedback/sharpening from all Coop stakeholders.
To make progress towards this vision in Q2-2021, here are 3 objectives to keep in mind:
- Product growth - The Coop solidifies its lead as the #1 DeFi index manager.
- Community autonomy - The Coop has evolved into an even more autonomous organization. A diverse and engaged community is an unforkable advantage for long-term success.
- Protocol sustainability - Protocol resources are managed in a trust-building & resilient manner. Trust, security, careful risk management, and treasury management are crucial pillars.
We are already on our way to each of these objectives as a community This is thanks to the massive, Coop culture-defining effort by everyone last quarter.
To offer some targets (KPIs) that will help us know whether we are on track towards those objectives, here are 4 product growth goals:
- $500M AUM
- 400,000+ DPI supply units
- $9M FLI suite 7-day moving average volume for 2 consecutive weeks
- 4 new products launched with $200M+ combined TVL. They are category leaders in terms of the most relevant measure (i.e. uTVL, volume, liquidity)
These goals reflect a few core beliefs, including that we must:
- Continually focus our efforts on growth to ensure long-term success
- Double (and triple) down on winning products
- Launch new products that have the potential to become category leaders
Now is the time for focus, great execution, and learning together through it all.
- What about this does or does not resonate with you?
- What is your long-term vision for the Coop?
- What questions & thoughts (big & small) does it generate in you?
None of it is set in stone, and the only way we move forward effectively is together