Special thanks to posts from:
@BigSky7 - Business Development & Partnerships Strategy
@gregdocter - [Notes] “DeFi Citadels” by Ryan Watkins
@Metfanmike - DPI Institutional Sales Strategy
@puniaviision - A Proposed Product Philosophy
@LemonadeAlpha - Proposing a Growth Working Group (Pt. II)
@DevOnDeFi - Accounting for client Life Time Value (LTV) in growth experiements
@Martin - Rebranding Index Coop - Sequencing our DNA
@setoshi - An Expanded Vision of Index Coop
@DarkForestCapital - Index Coop’s Guiding Principles
Additional thanks to:
@reganbozman - Growth strategy insights
With the second iteration of the Growth Working Group (GWG) in the pipeline. I believe it is important to create a DeFi Partnerships & Integrations Strategy to increase the likelihood of success with our GWG activities. This strategy relates to both inbound and outbound partnerships & integrations.
“To create privileged partnerships & integrations with unforkable utility”
Privileged partnerships & integrations - These are partnerships & integrations with platforms & protocols that are industry leaders. Measured by: users; community size; TVL; protocol volume & level of innovation.
Unforkable utility - These are partnerships or integrations that generate so much value for both parties that it would be irrational not to pursue the partnership or integration.
To establish 20 unforkable partnerships & integrations in 2021.
Being first - In order to develop a competitive advantage and keep with our broader principle of being innovative we need to be first in establishing relationships with the most innovative DeFi projects in the industry.
Thinking long-term - Besides thinking of short-term value creation, we need to consider the long-term potential benefits of our partnerships & integrations. DeFi projects are constantly evolving and innovating, we need to be perfectly positioned to benefit from new developments in the industry.
Mutual value-creation - In order to create unforkable utility it is crucial that value creation is mutual. We should strive to grow alongside our partners.
- No. of DeFi partnerships & integrations
- TVL of established partnerships & integrations
Engineering - For the time being we have access to limited engineering resources.
Financial - We are bound by the GWG budget granted by treasury.
Industry Cycle - We are operating in an extremely innovative industry therefore we will be hindered by the fact that industry participants are still in the process of refining their products and innovations.
Regulation/Legal - Regulatory requirements coupled with a changing regulatory environment have the potential to hinder partnership & integration opportunities.
Human Resources - For the time being we are in the process of creating a framework to retain and acquire human capital so capacity to succeed will be limited.
Time - We have set a timeframe of nine months to complete the objective.
- GWG community members
- GWG leaders
- Index Coop community members
- Product methodologists
- Set Labs
- Index Coop products holders
- Treasury committee
- DeFi community
- Ethereum community
- Defi Pulse
- Debank - DeFi Rankings
- Analytics working group
- Treasury working group
- Index Coop - Partnerships List
- Community network & insights
- Methodologists’ network & insights
1. Create a list of potential partnerships & integrations
2. Create a framework to identify privileged partnerships & integrations
3. Create a model to measure the effectiveness of a partnership or integration
- This strategy is subject to change. I will take the feedback that I receive on this post and include it in the strategy going forward.
- A detailed timeframe for the processes will be completed once more information is gathered.
- Inbound and outbound partnerships & integrations have been on-going.
- I used the SMART criteria for creating the main objective. I learnt how to apply the criteria during a workshop with a leading global management consulting firm.
- I used these Objective Framework Guidelines and this Objective Framework Template as the foundation of this strategy. I created these resources while working for another start-up. The resources are free to use for anyone who would like to use them.
Disclaimer: This strategy is based on interactions, experience and activities within the GWG, the broader community and the DeFi Industry in general.