EthernautDAO: Notes from the AMA

EthernautDAO, recently launched from @the_ethernaut, was founded to pair trainees with mentors to bootstrap developers to be blockchain devs. Last night there was an AMA with some of the founding team to discuss a bit of the process and I took a few notes that I thought may be important to us. Understandably, this received a lot of attention and desire from both potential trainees and mentors. They made mention they expected 10 trainees and about 5 mentors, but instead got a couple hundred trainees :sweat_smile:

It’s also worth noting that they’re still working out some specifics and tokenomics, but largely they have a plan. Just know that things aren’t yet final, but you can expect it to not change too much.

The intent is to take on senior developers under their wings to teach them Solidity. They made it clear they don’t plan to be teacher to newcomers, but mentors to people that have been in software a while, and only get them onboarded onto higher level Solidity development. They know the mentors are going to have day jobs, etc, and not too many trainees under each. They expect to spend no more than about 3 hours a week talking with trainees. This should give them enough time to answer questions, walk through, counsel, etc etc.

The model will be pretty interesting. It seemed to me like it’s meant to be a bit of an internship for senior devs. The idea would be that, like Rabbithole, EthernautDAO gets some buy in from a protocol [or company, framework, w/e] to train up a senior dev over the course of about 3 months. I’ll use the Coop as an example for simplicity’s sake.

The Coop would give put tokens [Dai, Index, w/e] into a vesting contract for a trainee. The protocol may then also provide a mentor, if they choose to do so. If they don’t provide a mentor, they can freely choose from any that are available and willing.

At this point any potential trainees will apply to a mentor/protocol and then be selected by the mentor. Important: not all trainees will (immediately?) be assigned a mentor or protocol, etc.

The trainee, once selection occurs, etc, will then spend their time doing tasks for the protocol of increasing complexity/context, and the mentor will guide them through and answer any questions they may have. At the end of the 3 or so months when the training has been sufficiently completed, the vesting will occur. Most of the funds put up by the protocol will go to the trainee, and a small amount will go to the mentor.

So a paid internship! Neat!

They’re realizing it’s difficult to find senior solidity devs around, because if anyone has been around long enough to be a senior, they’re usually already rich by now and running their own protocols. They wish to do things similar to how we have discussed in EWG calls, getting a more core contributor and bootstrapping them a bit to get then on their feed in solidity.

Once we’ve leveled up devs that we already have, in a way we have already intended to level them up, this may be a great way to get someone newer on board for the Coop that isn’t already contributing.

They also plan to publish a Medium article soon with some more clarified information from the AMA, and I’ll link that here as soon as I see it. In the meantime, you can read this introduction if you’re interested.

I feel like a lot of what I’ve written here is kind of just word vomit, and it’s too late at night for me to be energetic enough to make this pretty, so feel free to ask me any and all questions. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll find out.

9 Likes

Hey Modene,

I think the write-up is perfect in terms of catching up someone like me who didn’t have the time to attend the AMA.

As a more junior person trying to level up my engineering skills by doing bounties for the Coop, I was trying to figure out a game plan to focus on the most entry-level/useful Solidity tasks that I might be able to do to ease into Solidity and have some skills to leverage for the Coop.

I’ve seen good resources thrown around in the EthernautDAO group (such as: GitHub - ethernautdao/resources: A compilation of learning resources used by the EthernautDAO) and also in the Coop’s discord (GitHub - OffcierCia/DeFi-Developer-Road-Map: DeFi Developer Road Map. Feel free to submit a pull request, with anything from small fixes to translations, docs or tools you'd like to add.) with known starting points like Crypto Zombies and I’m aware of TeeWhy’s idea to develop quests to further ease the learning.

TL;DR: EthernautDAO doesn’t address the leveling up of developers that aren’t already senior. They mention they will expand this on their discord channel, but don’t provide a timeline. What would be the move for more junior developers until they do? Do we have a timeline for when they plan to expand their program?

If those don’t seem like they have clear answers, I would love to document my solidity journey and make it available to the Coop (as I’m interested in Solidity and would be starting from scratch).

1 Like

Thanks for the notes @0xModene! I wasn’t able to make it either. A bit disappointed that it’s only focused on senior engineers, but it’s pretty understandable given community needs at the moment.

To add to @PeterDAO’s resources: I’d say doing a hackathon is another great way for a Solidity newbie to learn fundamentals. It’s critical to steer new devs away from tutorial hell and get them actually working on projects.

2 Likes

To also add to the pile in @PeterDAO 's message, Chainshot has some good courses.

But I share your opinion on Tutorial Hell. There’s only so much you can effectively do reading and copying from tuts.

@ncitron has a couple of adapter quests that are pretty useful for both getting stuck in a bit on Solidity without having too much consequence, but also providing context and know how on some Coop/Set specific things. If you’re more junior, this is a great start.

1 Like

I can echo both @0xModene and @jierlich comments, I found Chainshot’s Aave course to be really good.

Then doing a couple hackathons (EthGlobal’s) have been great for me to get out of tutorials and be able to work with a team and deploy code to a testnet, while having a lot of resources available for help.