Whilst we are checking off the boxes of the onboarding process that will lead us to DG2, a window of opportunity has opened to bring improvements / clarifications to the community methodologist framework.
Opportunity : iRobot is the 3rd community index proposal to have reached and passed DG1 (following MVI and preceeding YHI).
It is a complex strategy which requires intensive market research, data processing as well as a creative marketing approach to make it understandable and enticing to the largest possible audience.
By growing and maintaining the 1st product of this kind internally, Index Coop has the opportunity to expand its capabilities even further and re-affirm its position as a top-talented and innovative organization, able to incentivize such contributions from within the community.
Status Quo : while the community methodologist role has originally been laid out by @DarkForestCapital and @verto0912 to set a precedent for further community-managed products, it seems there is an ongoing need to clarify this position inside the community :
- Does a community methodologist automatically become a full-time contributor of Index Coop ?
- How does a community methodologist prioritize contributions in areas outside of product management against the “normal” index maintenance and growth activities, and avoid conflicts of interest ?
- How can a community methodologist be compensated for his work if he’s not a full-time contributor ? How to manage expectations in comparison with external methodologists ?
- Tentative proposal : forming a fully-fledged working group focusing on iRobot’s growth and maintenance. After a bootstratping period this WG could become autonomously funded by redirecting part of the revenue generated by iRobot itself to the group’s multisig. Proposed functions would be identical to those already described in the community handbook :
- Ensure the overall maintenance of iRobot and explore its integration with Index Coop’s current or future products.
- Keep all documentation related to iRobot up to date, tracking performance and sending out updates monthly/quarterly/yearly as appropriate.
- Stay visible to index holders and Coop members to answer questions and act as a single source of the truth in relation to iRobot.
- Combine sales & BD efforts with other WG’s - including marketing, distribution, promotion and product development.
- Feedback : I look forward to reading your comments and feedback to this tentative proposal below !
In my opinion, encapsulating iRobot’s growth and maintenance in this WG framework provides the following advantages for new community methodologists as well as the Coop as a whole :
- Ensures the methodology can be maintained with continuity and by more than 1 person.
- More flexibility and potential to learn / iterate on budget & contributor organization while maintaining a high level of transparency / accountability to the community.
- More clarity and concrete expectations in terms of deliverables (KPI’s directly related to the product’s success).
- No overlap with already operating WG’s.
- Intended next step : moving forward to a formal iRobot WG proposal.