[MGC Member Nomination]: February 2022

Authors: @GovNest

Summary

This forum post aims to facilitate the nomination of Meta Governance Committee members. IIP-92 established a standard process for electing the MGC members and defined the starting date of the next term, which is on Block 14300000 (~March 1st , 2022)

The nomination process described in this post will allow potential new members to nominate themselves (or be nominated by someone) and marks the start of the next MGC term.

Rationale

What is the MetaGovernance Committee?

The MGC serves as a backstop to our Meta Governance voting structure. The committee is assigned with the task to vote, when quorum on meta governance votes is not reached (which happens more often than not). For any vote that does not reach quorum, the MGC ensures that the Index Coop participates in the vote: The MGC is given complete discretion to decide the outcome and vote on behalf of all $INDEX holders.

Responsibilities of the MetaGovernance Committee

Every MGC member is asked to provide their vote on all Meta Governance votes with either For, Against, or Abstain. This is a role that requires active participation, as well as a good understanding of the underlying protocols of $Index products. Voting takes place via a chat on Discord. Members are expected to participate in each vote and provide their decision within the given time frame (usually 24 to 48 hrs). Votes can occur 24/7.

Currently, the following protocols are live: UNI, COMP, AAVE, BAL, YFI and BADGER.

Terms

Elected members serve 1,200,000 block terms (~6 months), with a 3-consecutive term limit and are elected via weighted voting using Snapshot (voting with $INDEX tokens). Members can hand in their resignation earlier or be recalled by a community vote.

Members

There are currently 5 members of the MGC:

@Lavi

@Ncitron

@Kiba

@Yuan-han-li (representing Penn Blockchain)

@oneski22

The members whose term is ending with block Block 14300000 (~March 1st, 2022) are @Lavi, @Ncitron, @Kiba. As per IIP-92, these three members can nominate themselves again. For all three members - should they be reelected - this will mark their third and thus last consecutive term.

Nomination Process for potential new members

Start & End Date

Nominations start with this forum post. The deadline is one week from today (February 17).

Who is eligible?

All community members (internal and external) are welcome to come forward to express their interest in becoming a member of the MGC.

What do I need to do?

• If you are interested in joining the MGC, please leave a comment at the end of this post announcing your nomination. You can also nominate someone else.
    • All nominations “by someone else” need to be confirmed by the nominee.
  • If nominated, please share your background, time zone, involvement with Index Coop, and why you would be a good fit for a seat on the committee.

Example:

My name is Owlie D Cooper (Owlie.eth on discord) and my background is in TradFi, I’m based in the CST timezone (UTC-06:00).

I’m a silver owl and I have been a contributor to Index Coop for 5 months at the FinanceNest.

My experience with … would be of great use to the MGC, because…

• [Proof-of-human] New nominees are expected to attend a community call the week following this post, to introduce themselves and explain why they should represent the Coop (only required for non-core contributors). Otherwise, the nomination is not valid.
  • Ideally, this intro takes place during the Weekly Standup on Monday or at the Leadership Forum on Wednesdays.

Election of MGC Members (next steps)

Once all nominations for new MGC members have been submitted (deadline February 17th), the GovNest will publish a forum post highlighting the confirmed candidates and provide a brief background on the proposal submitted by those individuals. Afterward, the election will go live and a Snapshot vote will be created.

Token holders can then vote via a weighted choice to elect three members of the MetaGovernance Committee for the next 1.2M blocks.

If there are any questions on the process or regarding this post, please comment below or contact any member of GovNest (@mel.eth, @sixtykeys, @Lavi, @puncar, @shawn16400 )

4 Likes

Nominating @ncitron @Matthew_Graham and @Lavi

5 Likes

Thanks @oneski22, accepting the nomination.
Note: Should I be elected, the entity serving on the MGC will be Kolektivo Labs Switzerland GmbH.

Short bio: My background is in consulting in traditional finance, overall I’ve spend roughly 6 years in the financial industry before moving full-time into web3 about 7 months ago.
I’ve been contributing to the Coop for over 12 months in various areas. I’m one of the initiators of the MGC and have been serving on the committee since its inception. I’m part of the GovNest leading the GovDesk Pod, where I’ve been taking care of all things related to MetaGov and especially MetaGov Ops over the past 6 months. I am also a core contributor to PrimeDAO, where I lead the development of Prime Rating.
Hoping to serve the MGC and the Coop another term.

8 Likes

Nominating @Kiba who also served on the committee since its inception

1 Like

Hi @oneski22,

Thank you for the nomination and I accept.

A short Bio:
I am a mechanical engineer who also has a Bachelor in Investment Finance and Corporate Finance. I joined Index Coop in December 2020, formed and lead the Finance Working Group, now Finance Nest. I am heavily involved with day to day activities within the Finance Nest and also, more recently the Index Council.

I am also active in the Aave ecosystem having proposed many ARCs and AIPs, including the DPI listing on Aave V2 Markets and Aave Arc Markets. I have a very well established network within DeFi, most notable Aave, Balancer and Tribe DAO. Index Coop is currently invested in the Balancer Boosted Pools and Tribe DAO’s fuse pool and is building a BAL and TRIBE position outside of DPI and GMI respectively. I am also actively involved in revising Index Coop’s tokenomics model which I am sure metagovernance will feature.

8 Likes

Thank you @oneski22. I am accepting the nomination.

Short Bio:
I am currently a student at Duke University studying electrical engineering and computer science. I joined the Index Coop in November 2020 and have worked on many areas across the technical stack. Today, I work mostly on our smart contract infrastructure. I am also responsible for maintaining all of our metagovernance infrastructure including our snapshot bot, snapshot strategy, and vote delegation contracts.

I am an active participant in governance, and have written the code for and submitted several on-chain governance proposals for Aave. In my next term on the metagovernance committee, I hope to integrate with new protocol’s governance, and continue our reputation as good stewards of DeFi governance by implementing impactful proposals across the protocols we hold stakes in.

13 Likes

Thanks for the nomination @Lavi and I would like to accept.

Short Bio:
I am a software developer and DeFi degen. My crypto journey started in 2018 working at ConsenSys as a strategist then fullstack dev. Early 2020 I dove into DeFi full time and started working at DAOs contributing on governance, tokenomics, and product.

I started contributing at Index Coop in October 2020, was one of the first gold owls, helped form the meta-governance committee, and am the methodologist on the Data Economy Index.

4 Likes

I would like to nominate myself.

Short Bio:
I have a background in Economics and Finance. I have been a contributor to the Index Coop since June 2021, and an active governance and metagovernance participant. I am one of the co-creators of the inaugural Governance Working Group, now the Governance Nest, in which I currently lead the Governance Operations Pod. I am also a contributor to the Gyroscope Protocol where I provide inputs on their governance systems.

I would like to use the opportunity of being on the MGC, as a learning experience that will allow me to further deepen my knowledge of the protocols that our products currently consist of. And learn from the great minds that currently serve on the MGC, while using this knowledge to further serve the Index Coop DAO and the greater DeFi ecosystem.

2 Likes

I would like to nominate myself.

Short Bio:
I am an Electrical Engineer. After I was a programmer in several companies; I became an assistant at the Technical University in Graz, Austria. I lead several technology companies in C-level positions, these included a hard/software development company (Graz, Austria), further an ISP startup (Taipei, Taiwan), and an AI company (Taipei, Taiwan).

My crypto experience started in 2013. I had miners, but after the power bills hit me, I switched to trading instead. Hereby I used trading bots.

I will live till June 2022 in Taipei (UTC+8) and will relocate to Vienna, Austria (UTC+1, [UTC+2]).
I am retired and have so a lot of time to participate in meetings.

In Index Coop, I was one of the initial members of APACWG. Since the new IC structure, I am “shopping” where I can contribute best.

I would like to nominate myself. Should I be elected the entity serving on the MGC will be Ox Mining, LLC.

Short Bio: I have a BA in Architecture and a BS in Civil Engineering, before IC I was a construction finance consultant. IC contributor since April '21: founder of IC DAO contributor newsletter and founding member of the Governance Operations Working Group. Currently Lead the Governance Nest. I’m active in both governance and metagovernance voting. I have no other ongoing DAO affiliations or known conflicts with the duties outlinded; spot-conflicts should they arise will be noted on a case basis.

Should I be elected I will endeavor to always vote for Index Coop sustainability as the primary consideration. Thanks all.

5 Likes