Please see comments for details on the 2nd July expansion and revision to content and budget of this proposal
I am proposing the funding of a People, Organization and Community Working Group (POC) for 3 months ending on October 1st, 2021.
As the Coop grows, our ability to operate efficiently and utilize the skills within our DAO will be challenged.
This will manifest through:
- Disconnect with our community and a failure to leverage this group as a motivated, passionate and engaged foundation to champion our products
- Inefficiencies within our organizational processes which impact our ability to plan, waste time and decrease the effectiveness of Index Coop contributors and Working Groups
- Ineffective identification, utilization and retention of top people talent will restrict long term growth
People are the most important driver of organizational success. If Index Coop can recruit the right people, focusing them on the right things and enable them to work in the right way - we will create an environment where we can become a market leading billion dollar DAO.
Recently, the Coop has experienced a period of rapid growth. As such, there is a pressing need to ensure contributors can be engaged and channeled in a way that drives meaningful results.
A dedicated People, Organization and Community (POC) team will help ensure the Coop is made up of top global talent working within a streamlined organization structure. The POC will act as an enabler for the wider Index Coop.
For example, we are currently facing a bottleneck with dev resources. Establishing a Community, Organization and People WG could help preempt future bottlenecks and support the identification and recruitment of capability in key strategic areas.
There are three interconnected pillars of the POC Working Group. The approach and activity within each of these pillar will evolve, but will likely cover:
- Identification of “People Needs” at the Coop and support filling vacancies to ensure we have the right people in the right jobs (high priority)
- Anonymous Owl Pulse survey to identify pain points and opportunities for things we can do differently as a DAO.
- Launch of the internship program, establishing Index Coop as a leader in talent development and equal opportunities within DeFi
- Design and distribution of payment for Bronze Owls Quest focused on promoting key behaviours
- Work with key community members to reimagine “Owl Levels” and the associated benefit packages required to attract and retain top talent. (Trust and impact in the Index Coop)
- Defining and analyzing community health as understanding/measuring community health is essential to establishing long-term strategic vision at the Coop.
- Research articles establishing Index Coop as a thought leader in the space on all things DAO community, organization and people
- Development of planning and forecasting structures and processes to increase visibility of key milestones and priorities within the Coop
- Continuous improvement of our meeting cadence, working rhythm and organizational structure
- Index Coop process design and improvement (i.e. treasury process automation)
- Explore and maintain operational assets that empower productivity. Improve the effectiveness of our existing collaboration tools.
Note governance responsibility, such as the handover from Set (i.e. Gov 2.0: Index Gov 2.0 - Introduction to Delegated Governance - #2 by cedrick) is not covered within the POC WGs remit.
- Hosting of weekly community webinars and AMAs content to build an engaged, informed and educated community base
- Managing BAU for New joiners call to provide context, knowledge sharing and a sense of community for new contributors
- Iteration and streamlining of the WG specific onboarding process to identify and funnel top talent to WGs requiring support
- Setting up opportunities for us to connect as individuals and socialize as a community
- Moderation of Discord and expanding the functionality offered by this platform (i.e. bot & roles)
- Maintenance of internal learning resources and reference guides i.e. the Community Handbook
The POC is here to support all other Working Groups in their attainment of overarching KPIs.
This will be achieved through an engaged community made of high calibre talent working together in an effective way. They will be enabled by an organizational system which supports the identification, planning and accountability of strategic opportunities and objectives.
Thus, the POC will help Index Coop scale up to become a high performing team able to achieve its North Stars & Core KPIs.
Working Group Leader(s)
Joe McKenzie (@Pepperoni_Joe)
- Index Coop Community Manager since May 1st.
- Master in Occupational Psychology, PwC consulting alumni specializing in People and Organization.
POC WGL will determine contributions rewards for activity relating to Community, Organization and People.
Contributors who will be involved POC WG activity may include:
- Discord automation - Defi Jesus
- Webinar & AMA lead - Crypto Texan
- Social & Analysis - Helmass
- Internship - JMT NFT / oneski
- Learning resources & Gitbook - Mel / DOC
- New Joiner call - Cormac
Requesting a fixed fee of:
- Leader Stipend - 430 Index [$8,700/month - as per June 20 day moving average]
The 430 Index [approx $8.7k] is set to cover
[all my contributions across the Coop for the next 3 months, including activity spanning Growth, BD etc] all activity undertake to lead the POC WG and deliver on the defined objectives and KPIs.
This sits between the reward level of part-time non-technical WG leads (i.e. Dev - $6,000) and full time technical WG lead salaries (i.e. JD Cook - $10,000).
- Contributor Rewards - approx $10,677 /month
Estimated budget required to attract and retain consistent POC talent and achieve the outlined objectives. A detailed breakdown of contributor rewards allocation is show below.
- Licenses & Subscriptions - approx $727 /month
To acquire required technology and licenses needed to support POC activity. These licenses would be used across the Coop - for example webinar jam will support BD webinar activity.
- Ad Hoc cont. rewards - approx $3,045 /month
~$4,350 $3,045/month budgeted for ad hoc contribution awards (outside of core duties) and to cover unexpected subscription needs. This extra budget has been included as “leg room” to enable the POC to fund any costs arising from “unknown unknowns” * Bronze Owl Quest - approx $10,000 /month Finally we have budgeted $10,000 for the Bronze Owl quests which will support payment to ~20 new joiners for their first month of reward. Payment for first month rewards is budget from and allocated by the POC. However, activity undertaken as part of the “Bronze Owl Quest” will likely span across multiple WGs.
Based on the breakdown provided above, we request monthly funding of $14,707 + 430 Index per month for 3 months - equaling a total requested budget of $44,121 and 1290 Index.
How will it work? / What will you be doing?
- See section “how will you address it”
How will you interface with the community?
- Governance Forum Posts
- Weekly Community, Organization and People call
- Publication of all expenses and contributor rewards
- #Community Channel on Discord
- Community, Organization and People update in Monthly and Quarterly report
I am committed to Index Coop principles
I am committed to serving the entire Index Coop with my work.
I know that clear, constant, public communication lifts up the entire Index Coop community. I am committed to this style of communication.
I will share my progress, learnings with the entire community. I will ensure that anything I create is accessible beyond my own tenure for future generations of Indexers to access & build on.
I am committed to growth and improvement. I am open to feedback and will use feedback to improve my work for the benefit of the community.
I am committed to making Index Coop a welcoming, fun, and engaging community to work in!
- For initiating the POC WG from 1st July to October 1st
- Against initiating the POC WG from 1st July to October 1st