With the term for the Index Council due to end on the 28 of Feb - this post seeks community feedback on the next steps to ensure a peaceful transition of power. No storming of congress here please!
The Index Council was always billed as an experiment, and every member of the Council has learnt a great deal about what it means to be a steward and leader of this great DAO.
After the 28th of February we are keen to take these learnings from our Council members and community and run a series of deep drive retrospective workshops exploring:
- What worked, what did the Council achieve?
- What didn’t work well? What mistakes did we make?
- What were the personal challenges and frustrations did our Council members and community experience?
- What would we change in future if the Index Council is to continue?
We will also focus these discussions around…
- More clearly delineating Council responsibilities
- Exploring how the Council can better support “delegated decision making” and empower “win teams” who can work towards resolving major issues and decisions points
- Reassessing the number of individuals who need to be on the council and the election mechanism
- Reassessing the Council’s term length
Ultimately the aim of the workshops is to develop a new proposed framework for how the Index Council would operate in Season 1 and beyond. The community would then vote on this.
Index Councils current priorities are:
- Priority hiring
- Nest funding
- Set <> Index relations
Of these, we anticipate only activity around “Set <> Index relations” will be unresolved past the 28th of February.
However, currently, with @jdcook moving away from his role on the Council, we find our conversations with Set are lacking the technical and product expertise needed to ensure these discussions are most productive.
We present two possible options we could take with the Council, both of which we feel would minimize disruption and enable us to largely continue with “business as usual”
Option 1 | The Council is dead, long live the win team
- Council disbands on the 28th of Feb.
- Week commencing 7th of Feb, the Council will appoint a “Set<>IC Win Team” to join existing Council members in their discussions with Set. This will include Ed (engineering) and Miles (Product).
- Past the 28th of Feb, there will be no further Council activity until the community chooses to elect a new Council in Season 1 - or disband with the concept of a Council entirely.
- Emergency or urgent situations that arise will be routed through our normal governance process.
Option 2 | Continuity is king
- Council continue in their position after 28th of Feb. Their remit will only cover current priorities which are yet unresolved - primarily Set <> Index relations.
- The Council will address any emergencies or decisions that lack a clear owner that arises.
- The Council will appoint two additional representatives from Product & Engineering to provide technical expertise in the Set <> IC discussions (Ed and Miles).
- The current Council members will stay in position until either a new council is formed, or the community decides to move away from the Council model.
We feel both of these two options will enable continuity as we enter Season 1 - and will ensure minimal disruption to Index Coop activity. If you feel there would be any alternative options we should consider, please share these below.
- The Council is dead, long live the win team
- Continuity is king