Background: Wednesday’s Org Work session (14th July - see slides) was dedicated to discussing autonomy issues that had been brought up by many Index Cooperative contributors.
Greg Docter and Felix Fang kicked-off the conversation by presenting slides that communicated how Set Labs understood the issues as brought forward by the community, after which Thomas Hepner moderated a Question & Answer session.
The big takeaway from the call was the need for a better understanding of the priority and requirement for greater Index Coop autonomy - and the need for better communication between key stakeholder groups. This could be enabled by standing up a cross-functional team made up of key stakeholders.
This group would support Index Coop mature towards a position of greater autonomy and preempt and address pain points in this transition process. The group would also identify and drive forward organizational/structural initiatives to help Index Coop and key partners to collaborate, coordinate and communicate more seamlessly going forward.
Initially, a major part of this effort could centre around an Autonomy Roadmap to be jointly created by all stakeholders (i.e. Index Coop contributors, Set Labs, DeFi Pulse, and other stakeholders).
Key Action: Formation of Autonomy Kick-Off Group by 27th of July.
Deliverable: Initial Autonomy Roadmap by 25th of August.
Recommendation: Recurring monthly forum post and “All-Hands” meeting led by the to-be-formed Autonomy Kick-Off Group for public accountability.
Group Structure: We propose that this group be made up of:
- 3 Community Contributor Representatives (this includes contributors of all stripes, such as: contributors, community methodologists, prospective community methodologists, working group leads, full-time contributors)
- 1 DeFi Pulse Representative
- 1 Set Labs Representative
We believe that 5 people is the optimal number of individuals for this group, at least initially, to make rapid progress with representatives from each of the Index Coop’s core stakeholders (i.e. Set Labs, Pulse Inc, Index Coop contributors, outside investors).
The initial roadmap they produce will ultimately be subject to full community scrutiny in the forums.
- Set Labs and DeFi Pulse will nominate their own representatives for the group and comment on the forum post who their nominee(s) are.
- Community Contributors: Reply to this post to nominate yourself or other individual(s) for consideration.
- Nomination Period: The nomination period will last from 12:00 PM (7:00 PM UTC) 16th of July to 12:00 PM (7:00 PM UTC) 21st of July.
Selection Process: A survey will be created for community voting on the representatives from each stakeholder group.
- Voting Period: The voting period will last from 2:00 PM (9:00 PM UTC) 21st of July to 2:00 AM PST (9:00 AM UTC) 27 of July.
You can vote for nominations through:
- https://app.choicevoting.co.uk/election/voting/zg85dJzo9G , logging in using details provided in this sheet
- Index Coop voter list - Google Sheets
Additional Reading and Resources:
- Index Coop Org Work Session [July 14th, 2021]
- [Greg Docter] Autonomy Call 7/14 Notes
- [Thomas Hepner] Call Log
- Peter Pan - How DAOs Become DAOs
- Synthetix - Spartan Council, An Old Dictator Appears
- Create C.R.E.A.M Listing Team
- Thread on DAO Governance
- 7/20/2021: The voting period was extended from 2:00 PM PST (9:00 PM UTC) 23 of July to 2:00 AM PST (9:00 AM UTC) 27 of July.
- 7/21/2021: Links added for voting process.